Thursday, November 17, 2011

Best Damn Pumpkin Dessert, Period!


Yes, that is the title. And, it's pretty accurate I must say.

I made these bars/dessert/plain goodness for a dinner we had with some friends. Everyone loved these and had seconds and thirds! 

A doctored cake mix is used for both the crust and topping. And sandwiched between the two, is a spicy layer of creamy pumpkin filling. This dessert is a cross between pumpkin pie and a pumpkin bar. The buttery, cakey topping makes this dessert stand out.

The crust and topping are studded with toasted pecans which gives this dessert a nice texture and flavor. The pumpkin layer in the middle is rich and creamy and has a nice balance of sweet and spice.
This dessert has a few steps, but it's really simple to make. It can be served plain or dressed up with ice cream or whipping cream. (Plus, the leftovers go extremely well with coffee in the morning!)


* * * * * * * * * 
Pumpkin Dessert
Inspired by: Slight Detour


Preheat oven to 350

CRUST:
1 Box yellow cake mix (Reserve 1 1/4 cups and set aside)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
Mix cake mix (minus the 1 1/4 cup), melted butter, beaten egg and nuts until combine. Press into a 9x13 greased pan.
FILLING:
1 (15 oz) can of pumpkin puree
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
A pinch ground ginger and cloves
1/4 tsp salt
Mix together above filling ingredients until smooth (mixture is runny, but just keep beating it with a fork until you have a smooth consistency and all the spices are blended in). Pour filling over the crust.
TOPPING:
Reserved 1 1/4 cups cake mix
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
5 Tablespoons butter, softened
Mix together topping ingredients until crumbly. Gently scatter mixture over filling.
Bake @ 350 for 50-60 minutes. Cool and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

My Notes:
* My pumpkin dessert was done at 57 minutes. The topping was golden brown and the filling was set (no giggle) when I took it out of the oven.

* I served a scoop of Dryers Pumpkin Ice Cream on the side. Eggnog or vanilla would be tasty too.

9 comments:

Shauna said...

I think a little piece of this brought to my bedside would have helped with my recovery. 

Bake-A-Holic said...

I think it would have!!

I did however bring you seasonal cupcakes, a vanilla custard cranberry tart and a four-layer pumpkin cream cake. I think you might be using me for my desserts!

Shauna said...

I am so busted. Don't cut me off once I get well.

oline said...

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!!im on diet and i dying and crying out loud now.. this is so yummmeehh. :'O

Reeni said...

These are positively heavenly! Love that pumpkin filling!

Shauna said...

"Damn!"

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a pumpkin dessert and came across your blog. I made these for a dinner party and they were a hit!

Thanks - Sue

The Carter Family said...

Just baked this today! Seriously very, very yummy!

Jennifer Hart said...

Can't wait to try it! It's already done and holding until the guests arrive in a couple hours! I may have to cheat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails